Dual Fuel Program
The dual fuel program encourages the use of off-peak electric heat on our system. Members receive a lower rate for their electric heat, which makes it very competitive with fossil fuel costs. The dual fuel program has helped members save money on their heating costs, especially during the years when the prices of LP gas and fuel oil increased substantially during the winter.
If you are paying more than $1.45 per gallon for LP gas or $2.05 per gallon for fuel oil, the dual fuel program will save you money. The dual fuel rate allows you to use electric heat with your existing furnace as a back up during peak times to save you money.
In order to qualify for this special rate there are a few requirements:
- The electric heat must have an automatic backup, such as propane, LP, natural gas, etc.
- The back up must be automatic- turning on when the electric heat is shut off.
- The system must be put on a separate meter, allowing SREC to determine kWh usage for the lower rate.
- The electric cooling source will be controlled during peak times on a cycle of 15 minutes on / 15 minutes off.
- The electric heating source will have potential to be controlled up to 6-hours in a 12-hour period.
- The heating or cooling system must have a load control installed enabling SREC to turn off the system during peak times.
If you have any questions, please call 800-236-2141 ext. 563
Documents to Review
Dual Fuel - Winter Preparedness Test
The Winter Preparedness Test for Interruptible Heat (Dual Fuel) for Members is scheduled the Wednesday before Thanksgiving each year. This load control test is performed in advance of the winter Full Load Control season to ensure member familiarity with the control sequence and to ensure that backup heating systems have been validated for proper function.